Saturday, December 27, 2014

So glad we didn't cancel Christmas


So glad we didn't cancel Christmas!


I really did not know if I could handle Christmas this year.  Christmas is easily my favorite time of year. I absolutely love the magic and excitement of the season. You can find me decorating our place for Christmas as early as Thanksgiving weekend, and shopping for gifts much sooner than that. This year, I was especially excited. This would be our last Christmas as a family of two. I loved the sound of that, and had visions of our little sugarplum dancing in my head. My favorite thing about Christmas is the wonder and joy it brings to little ones, and soon we would begin to witness that wonder and joy in our own little one. Every day I thought about what Christmas would be like with her next year, and for all the years to come. Enjoying the lights, singing Christmas songs and dancing around the house, baking and decorating Christmas cookies, decorating the tree, (even if it meant only decorating the top half when she was little and curious), so many wonderful traditions to continue and new memories to make. While debating whether or not we had the strength to join our family and friends for Christmas celebrations this year, I had to somehow be okay with letting go of these dreams of Christmas with Sofia. While it was not (and still is not) easy to do, I found some comfort in thinking of what Christmas could be like in heaven. Then I remembered our family and friends who are up there with her, and I made some requests.

I don't know what heaven is like, but if I had it my way, this is how Sofia spent Christmas this year. 

"Auntie" Charlotte baked and decorated cookies with her.
Jasmine sang and danced to Christmas songs with her.
Uncle Larry taught her how to build a snowman.
Mrs. Blakely read her The Polar Express.
Tio Humberto took her to see the most beautiful Christmas trees and lights.
Mr. Friemann played Santa Claus and held her on his knee. 
Her great and great-great grandparents all spoiled her with love.

And with these thoughts, I realized Christmas could not be cancelled. Our Sofie is in good hands, and there is a lot to celebrate here. This year, we became parents, and thus experienced the deepest kind of love there is, the same love our God has for us. Such a deep love, that he sent His son to love and guide us, and that should be celebrated. And so we did.... with friends... with both sides of the family... we celebrated. When Juan asked me my favorite part of Christmas this year, I answered, "The hugs. I didn't realize I needed all of those hugs." 

And so we did it, we survived our first Christmas since the loss of our sweet baby girl. I can't help but wonder when Christmases will be easier to get through without her.  We can only pray and see what God has in store for the Llamas Family in 2015.

The candle we lit at Christmas Mass
We love you, Sofia. Merry Christmas!




3 comments:

  1. Hugs are the best. That's something that has helped me too…thinking of all the family members my little one is hanging out with in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve all hugs Amy for they bring Love and comfort. You are bringing God much Glory by sharing your heart on this blog and in this He is well pleased for this is our purpose to bring Him Glory. Love you, Gail Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing what you are both walking through. You are both bringing God much Glory in all this pain. I will praise Him in the pain though the mystery remains. Thank you for letting me grieve along with you because it is in this grief I get to pour out my prayers for you both. Praying to our God our great comforter that He hold you both so tightly and that "Joy will come in the morning" Psalm 30:5 He will see you both through every step of the way, I have no doubt. Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete